More Miter Saw Cabinets Part I: Frames

Hello All,

I’m tired of sanding on my new Iron-Man Helmet so I’m taking a break on it.  I recently made miter saw cabinets for the miter saw My Lady got me last year for my birthday.  At that point I only made the lower cabinets, so now I thought to add cabinets on top of the existing cabinets shallow enough such that they don’t interfere with the miter saw itself nor the tracks for the garage door.  I also really wanted enough room that I can store tools that are too tall or otherwise big for the cabinets.  Like my bandsaw and my router table.  They don’t fit well in either of the cabinets.

I first designed the cabinets in CAD so I can figure out my cut dimensions.

Since the first couple of plywood cuts were so large I used the circular saw.  After the first two cuts that would’ve been too unwieldy on the table saw, the others were so awesome on the new table saw fence.  After I had all of the plywood cuts made, I laid everything out in the orientation that they’ll be connected and clamped them in for a test fit.  I used this as an opportunity to best orient each wall relative to knots or whatever.

I realized I should’ve had the top and bottom pieces on the inside of the side walls as opposed to outside the way that they turned out to be, but oh well.  Garage cabinets after all…  I used pocket holes on the center shelf, back and side walls for the main assembly and pocket holes on the frontward section of each of the pieces (besides the back) to connect the front frame.  There was a wicked heat wave here while I was working on the cabinet frames and it didn’t help me use my brain.  I accidentally made some extra pocket holes in some places that will ultimately be visible.  Ahh well…

After each of the pieces were cut and the pockets holes were drilled, I used a corner clamp to help attach the top and bottom to the sides one at a time.  I used the back wall to help me square the top, bottom and sides, but I didn’t screw in the back until I had the front frame attached.  (Or at least I didn’t on the second one after having learned on the first one…)  Cutting the 1″x2″s for the framing I did on the miter saw.  I put a pocket hole on the horizontal pieces and attached them to the vertical pieces and attached to the carcass.  I did this initially purely to cover the plywood edges but it really makes a difference in the presentation of the cabinets.  Check out the difference:

After I had the cabinet carcasses I moved on to the cabinet faces.  I was able to use the T-Track from the existing cabinets for the first time and it was extremely convenient.  I was able to cut all of the 1″x3″s for the cabinet faces really quickly.  I used my router to cut a 1/4″ slot in the center of the 1″x3″s to slide the 1/4″ plywood inside to make sort of a shaker cabinet face.  After the slot I added the pocket holes to connect the rails and stiles to each other.  I put glue in the slots and slid the plywood in the middle and clamped everything together.  I used blocks to help align the frames to ensure a flush connection between the pieces, and I also used a face clamp make sure the two adjacent pieces are flush to each other as well when I screwed them together.  Check out the pictures, it’s kind of awkward to verbalize.

I had the unfinished cabinets in place where they’re going to go while I was working on the cabinet faces and I was already finding them super convenient.  I can’t wait til they’re done.  Next I need to notch out some holes in the back wall for electrical outlets and some of my irrigation infrastructure that’s on the wall where these cabinets will be.  After that I just need to stain, seal and attach the hinges.  I can’t wait.  Should be awesome.  Hope y’all like them.

Leave a Reply